Celebrity hairstylist Anthony Nader reveals how to get the looks at home
Celebrities stormed the Golden Globes red carpet on Sunday evening in a sea of black gowns, glittering accessories and effortlessly glamorous hairstyles.
And while the A-listers have a professional hairstylist on standby, most women aren’t so lucky.
So to help women recreate some of the best hairstyles worn by Australian celebrities at the 2018 Golden Globes, Sydney-based celebrity hairstylist and RAW founder Anthony Nader has shared his top tips.
From Margot Robbie’s glamorous waves to Katherine Langford’s glittering do, here FEMAIL looks at the top Australian hairstyles and how you can create them at home.(Margot’s stunning effortless waves were the perfect addition to her look and complemented her natural, dewy make up look.
1. Make sure you have super clean hair as you need your mane to appear glamorous and luxe, so make sure you wash your strands with a shine enhancing shampoo and conditioner.
2. Use a medium hold foam (mousse) so you make your Hollywood waves stay all night long. Use this foam from roots and ends and rake through evenly.
3. Smooth over now with a large paddle brush (as this saves you hours now) and using your nozzle on your hairdryer to ensure smoothness.
4. To make this super easy now place in your desired partline, divide the hair into four even sections from ear to ear and partline, aiming down to the nap area.
5. Grab your large barrel tong and start on first of four sections, winding the hair around the barrel and away from your face.
6. Once your tonged all your hair spray with a light hairspray and then brush smooth and tuck one side behind your ear.
Instead of simple mermaid waves, Katherine Langford took this style a step further with glittering star embellishments for that extra ‘wow’ factor.
1. This hair shape you can be forgiven for skipping the shampooing as you need that little bit more texture here and not so tight-to-the-head look.
2. By all means if your roots are oily you can use a dry shampoo here to soak up your hair sins and no one will ever know.
3. Once you’ve given your hair a good brushing through, place in your side part as you want to create that old glamour Hollywood feel here.
4. Divide hair into half and pin away the front section from ear to ear and take your extra large hot tongs and wind up your hair in horizontal sections, as you want that mermaid esq vibe.
5. Once you’ve completed the back section, do the same method in the front section.
6. Brush your hair into final shape and keep one side over your shoulder and use your firm hairspray to set in place.
Now embellish your hair with your diamonds and pin to secure all night long. FYI… ladies this added feature will be the envy of your girl squad #MajorWinningPoints.
This elegant yet effortless style is a signature of Nicole’s and works perfectly with her face shape.
1. A favourite red carpet look for me was Nicole’s twisted swirl knot at the nape area, while the hair around her face fell beautifully and soft. Always start this hairstyle with clean hair as you need the end look to photo finish ready.
2. After washing your hair with a smoothing shampoo and conditioner, on damp hair use a straightening lotion all over and comb through precisely from roots the ends.
3. Ensure a super sleek blowdry by using a flat large paddle brush with loads of boar bristles as this helps even the frizziest of hair strands to tame.
4. When your hair is 100% dry, split the front section away from the front in two clean sections.
5. Backcomb (tease) the crown area for that extra height then sweep the whole back section into the middle of the nape area and secure. Now spilt the tail up and create individual swirls, loops and twists.
6. Use your tail comb and place in your center partline, then grab your large hot tong and wrap just the midlengths of your hair around the barrel.
7. Finish off by softly brushing out your glamorous soft waves and give then a once over with a light hairspray.
Abbie’s swept up-do was a classic yet elegant option and worked well with her bold sequinned dress choice.
1. Start off by using a shampoo and conditioner that will help remove the brassiness of your true blue aussie hair strands as now your hair will look paparazzi ready.
2. On damp hair use a volumising foam here as you need all the va va voom here ladies. Scrunch it in and blast your hair dry with a large round brush to get the volume you need.
3. Place in your side sweep part and divide the hair into half and now clip the top half away and brush the underneath section smooth and ready to curl.
4. Start your curls by picking up two inch sections, at the nape area and wrapping each one around the tong and then let them fall naturally.
5. Go from the nape area and working all the way to the front, but make sure you drop your curling method from below the eyebrow as your end result will look way more natural and not looking like you just stepped out of the 80’s music video clip.
6. Now complete, rake your fingers through your lux blonde mane and pop a long slide clip in behind one ear and your ready to go.