The 90s pin
By Anthony Nader
With the drab winter weather upon us, it’s time to find ways to tame the mane while staying stylish. Enter the trusty bobby pin. Style your hair like Rihanna – the bobby’s biggest fan – and show off those handy hair accessories, not conceal them. Whether you go grunge or girly, the best part about this style is there are no rules!
1. To add fullness and soak up any unwanted oily roots, spray your roots with dry shampoo. Massage in and brush through with a boar bristle brush.
bh recommends: Klorane Oil Control Dry Shampoo
2. Find your part and then smooth over the surface where you want to slide in the pins, remembering that ‘more is more’. Get creative and make patterns with your pins – you’d be surprised at how different you can make yourself look!
bh tip: If an overload of pins a la Rihanna is not your thing, make like bh’s Beth and go for a subtler style with the Lady Layne Minimalistic Leather Bobby Slides. Chic, sleek and simple, it’s a winner.
By Anthony Nader
Let’s face it: Cara Delevingne has conquered the ‘undone but done’ look, and Anthony says that the less work you do, the better: “Don’t overload your strands with products as it only weighs the hair down and gets it dirty far quicker, and remember to keep your styling to a minimum.” Hey, if the pros say so…
1. On freshly-washed hair, use a conditioning volume foam from roots to ends and comb through evenly with a wide-tooth comb.
bh recommends: Cedel Conditioning Foam
2. Use a ceramic hair dryer to dry your hair to 80 per cent. Part your hair wherever you like, and divide it into top and bottom sections. Clip the top section away.
3. Dry the underneath section fully, then unclip the top half and do the same, smoothing over the hair with a large round brush.
4. Using a waving wand, start a few centimetres from the root area and take 5cm sections. Wind them around the wand and away from your face. Leave the ends free.
bh recommends: ghd curve classic wave wand as it delivers an uneven, natural-looking bend.
5. Spritz with a light hairspray to make your waves last the distance.
bh tip: Keep your ends as blunt as possible – it’s a red carpet trend right now and makes the thinnest of hair appear thicker!
BH’S ASTRID TAEMETS for beautyheaven.com.au