Anthony gives us the perfect up do for the long weekend as seen on elle.com.au
Five steps to chic, ed easy-to-do-hair for autumn.
Who says interesting-hair means hard work? Hairstylist & owner of Sydney’s RAW salon, Anthony Nader explains how to get the covetable twisted-chignon from Celine’s AW 14-15 catwalk.
1. On damp hair, spray sea salt spray through the mid lengths. Adding a little ocean-texture means silky hair will keep hold of the twisted bun. For those with thinner locks, spray a little extra onto the roots to thicken the hair.
2. Grab a hair dryer, and roughly dry hair about 80% of the way, on medium heat, so your arms don’t tire. Divide the hair from temple to temple, clipping the top section away. “Sectioning your hair halves drying time and give you a smoother blow-dry.” Dry the bottom section, while running a large paddle brush the hair for a smooth finish. Repeat with the top section, directing the hair in a backward motion towards the nape of the neck.
3. Tilt your head back and flick the cool-button on the hair-dryer. Target the cooler air on the hair line to tame fly-aways. “People forget about the cool-air function on the hair dryer, but it sets the hair and gives the style longevity.” If the hair is feeling silky and fine, spray dry shampoo into the roots and brush out to add extra grit. Nader suggests trying coloured shampoo that matches your natural shade, to give fine hair a more bulky appearance.
4. With a bungee-grip on hand, brush the hair back and secure the tie around a ponytail at the nape of the neck. Make sure the elastic is secure, but not too tight as the tail will be threaded through later to create the bun. If the ponytail looks dry and frazzled, Nader suggests using a light weight shine-spray, or hair-oil for a healthy, glossy finish. Try using Shine Flash 02 Glistening Mist ($30.95, Redken, 1300 650 170).
5. Begin to twist the tail, in a downward direction. Once you feel traction, the twist should naturally fold back on itself in a neat shape. Pull the ends through the bungee tie, and finish with a spritz of Redken’s Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray ($27.95, 1300 650 170) to flatten any stray hairs.